View Single Post
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 12:37   #25
GezzaT

It can be worked around in AAOS11 but there’s an argument for just waiting until AAOS12 anyway for wireless CarPlay to avoid the coding hassle. Once we have wired, depending on how much effort Volvo/Polestar has sunk into wireless CarPlay in AAOS11, if complaints die down then they’ll possibly just wait until AAOS12. There’s an element of sunk cost fallacy here I’ll wager, so it would probably be better for Volvo to just stick with wired in AAOS11 *unless* they’re literally a few hours of coding and testing away from release or there is still a huge PR problem for not delivering it.

The current generation of Bluetooth/WiFi combination for CarPlay is, in my opinion, not quite up to it anyway and wired is much preferred. I get that people want to cut the wire completely (hence the reason why Volvo has a wireless charger in MY22+XC60) but I’m happy to accept that I’ll be using wired CarPlay until a later generation of tech comes out. An example here is Bluetooth having to be disabled for other devices to prioritise the CarPlay link.

There will follow the inevitable “but it’s been available wireless in my XXX for years” comments but I’m yet to meet anyone who has had a flawless wireless CarPlay experience in any vehicle, and simply working doesn’t indicate stability and performance. Combine that with proposed tighter integration with the vehicle in the recently announced CarPlay updates and you’re going to need extremely reliable wireless connections to make it a decent experience…
GezzaT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GezzaT For This Useful Post: