View Single Post
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 00:32   #14
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

We bought an '87(D) 745 at 11 years old and ran it for another 18 with very little more than routine servicing and renewals. We did have a new heater fitted at one point, but that was about it! The car eventually succumbed to underbody corrosion which caused it to fail an MOT and, for us, was uneconomical to repair.

We looked for some months without success for a late 945, 965 or V90 to replace it. On one visit to a dealer we saw a '00 Phase 1 V70, slightly down at heel, in the corner of his forecourt. After a test drive we both liked the car so I told him I would meet the (modest) screen price if he would put a year's MOT on it as it only had a few months remaining. He declined, but immediately offered me the car at a considerable discount as a trade sale.

We decided to take a chance and shook at that. All that the car needed for it's first MOT in my ownership was welding of the rear exhaust support and attention to the handbrake - both known issues and easy fixes. 7 years on, I'm still driving the car and it continues to serve me well. It was serviced only yesterday and apart from the usual replacements only needed a set of plugs - the first in my ownership. Total cost just over £200.

We've grown to like the car. It is slightly smaller inside than a 7/9 estate but is still a very capable load lugger. About the only downside against the RWD cars is the MASSIVE turning circle - but you do get used to that in time!

An excellent buy, and at the moment being at the bottom of it's depreciation curve, considerably cheaper than most 7/9 series cars currently on offer.

Regards, John.