View Single Post
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 08:46   #1
S60man

Default Still leaking after new core plug and oil seal

After discovering a sudden and serious oil leak coming from the weep hole of the gearbox bell housing of my 2003 D5 and, after reading everything I could find on the subject on this forum, I decided it must be the core plug above the crankshaft that had come loose.
I bit the bullet and pulled the gearbox clutch and flywheel to find the core plug turned in the housing. I replaced the core plug with a new metal one from Volvo and to be on the safe side replaced the crankshaft oil seal. The oil seal Volvo supplied was of a different construction to the old one but it fitted fine.
After putting it all back together I thought job well done only to discover a week later engine oil was still leaking badly from the gearbox weep hole.
I have read on the forum members suffering the same problem when a main dealer carried out the work and returning the car to volvo to put right but I've never found out what they did.
Could it be a pressure build up in the crank case pushing oil past the seal due to a blocked oil separator? Any ideas would be most welcome.

Last edited by S60man; Oct 15th, 2014 at 08:48.
S60man is offline   Reply With Quote