View Single Post
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 12:55   #86
PaulBendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
Its only 13A if charging the car using the 3 pin domestic plug charger. If a type 2 charging box and cable is used, the T8 is capped at a 3.6kw/hour charge speed due to the 3.6kw on-board charger installed. Its alot quicker on a type 2 charge but still half the speed it could be if we could utilise the full 7.2kw's supplied by most type 2 wall boxes.
The new 18kw battery will take 4-5 hours to charge if its still only fitted with a 3.6kw on-board charger and much longer using the 13a domestic plug charging cable.
Thanks for the additional info, it does seem an oversight to increase the battery capacity but not the charging. I guess it could be due to supply and this is something that may change in the MY23 models. Fitting charging of the battery into a four hour window seems to be the sweet spot and certainly advantageous if on the Octopus Go tariff (4 hours overnight at 5p /kWh)