Thread: What is it?!
View Single Post
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 22:35   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCy View Post
Question - one of my 1971 164’s has a centre console with a strange black VDO unit fitted. It has an earth feed and light, it’s bigger than a clock but actually has nil inside except black. It’s not been opened hence I know nil has been removed but any ideas what it is or it’s supposed to do? Picture here - it’s filthy yes as it’s how I found the car but in process of sorting out now....
Enlarging the image it looks like someone has played what is quite a neat trick of applying some black window tint film over it then using a brighter bulb to illuminate the clock so it's not noticeable at first until the bulb is on (usually with ignition so may have a blown bulb) at which point the tint film becomes more or less transparent, revealing the time.

To explain that with a couple of pics :

Is it a mirror?

Nope, it's a clock!

That's done with silver-reflective window tint film. I also have some guages i bought from Chinabay that appear black until powered up, again just black window tint film.

Off ^^^^^

On ^^^^^

I might be wrong but when i enlarged the pic of your mystery item, i'm fairly sure i made out the shadow of a pair of hands at the "5 to 4" or "20 past 11" positions - could have been shadows or something though so don't quote me on that!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote