View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 10:47   #68
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I could well believe that Dave.

An interesting feature my Dad looks at on his phone is the air quality meter of the weather app (iPhone). Throughout the lockdowns, these figures plummeted (cars not on the road as much etc). No doubt, those figures will go back up.

I own a diesel Volvo... its the second diesel vehicle I've owned since I started driving. I do think a petrol would be a better choice for me next time. Although, the electric vehicles are coming into force in the not too distant future I imagine. I don't think they're as "green" as they're made out to be either... I'm not convinced.

Oh, this just sprung to mind (off topic, but so what!)... I've come across your posts on the forums a lot over my time on here. We've even had a few conversations on threads too (hopefully more frequent).

I'd just like to say that I enjoy your posts, the advice that you give etc.
I used to work on what were classed as agricultural diesels quite a few moons ago Kev and i always had black tissues! Being agricultural, the emissions control varied from none on the older stuff to starting to improve (but nowhere near cars limits at the time) on the new stuff. Putting a 100kW generator on a load bank (basically a giant fan heater) and dropping full load on it always created a big black cloud, ten times worse with a 1MW generator! Nice job for a cold winters day though having a 1MW fan heater keeping you warm!

I have to agree on BEVs, while clean at the point of use their green credentials during manufacture don't stack up. Saw a report recently that suggested most would take about 70k miles to "break even" on the zero-emissions amortising the carbon footprint from manufacture. By then they'd be getting to the point of replacement so nothing gained. Factor in that not all electric provided for charging these beasts comes from renewable energy and suddenly their impact on the environment is as bad, if not worse, than the ICE propelled cars.

I think they will have their time but will be brief as many companies are still researching other propulsion methods. Someone, somewhere will come up with something that is free (or nearly) to produce and gives us zero-impact on the environment propulsion. I think it will come from magnetism, let's face it, we live on a huge magnet so it's a case of harnessing that resource and using it for free energy.

As for air quality, i remember when we had the no fly zone because of the Icelandic volcano spouting ash into the air. The air quality improved immediately and remained good until they restarted using aircraft. Bear in mind that during lockdown we still had air freight coming in but not during the Icelandic volcano incident. Would be intersting to compare the air quality between the first lockdown when the roads were deserted and when the volcanic ash was floating around with all aircraft grounded! We still had car travel during the volcano episode so would give an intersting pointer as to which is more polluting.

Thanks, i've enjoyed a lot of your posts too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: