View Single Post
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 16:00   #6
Juular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Hi - excellent work on the car so far, well done.

You may or may not know that Volvo designed the sills to be vented, to avoid trapping moisture in sills. Unfortunately what happens is leaves and other debris get into the vents under the windscreen, down the A-pillars and into the sills where the block the drain holes and the sills end up rusting from the inside out. Since your car has rust both in the A-pillars and the sills it's likely that the drain holes are blocked.
All great info, thanks.

The operation of the scuttle drain was a huge mystery to me until I worked out that it drained right into the sills. It didn't help that the drains are blocked as you say, and the scuttle is full of pine needles and leaves. It's not a bad idea but catastrophic if the car has to sit for any length of time unused near foliage.

The other problems have been caused by a leaking windscreen (it will need welding at the seam), a leaking washer motor and a sunroof drain pipe that had been pushed out of its grommet so that water simply ran down the door hinge and into the sill! I had to fabricate new hinge reinforcement brackets as they were shot through.

Thanks for the info on the K-Jet and injectors, I will add this to the list.

Great work on your thread - this is the kind of stuff that helps a lot as I can see how it's meant to look rather than the gaping holes in my car! It looks like yours has went in similar areas.

Did you use cutouts from a repair panel on your sills or did you fabricate the areas yourself? Edit : just read that you used repair panels - sorry!

My plan was to replace the entire outer sills in one go as they're blown through in quite a few places including on the top lips. Do you think the brookhouse sills would need much modification if used in this way, ie: didn't have to fit in with existing original sill metal?

Last edited by Juular; Dec 10th, 2020 at 16:08.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: