View Single Post
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 22:55   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Thanks All

In the end I telephoned National Tyres, who'd supplied and fitted my new tyre and had originally done the alignment. They promptly offered to re-check the alignment this afternoon, and 20 minutes later returned the car to me saying that it was all sorted.

And indeed it is totally sorted. The steering wheel now sits exactly true, and the steering feels as light (and as barge-like!) as it ever did.

The Depot Manager said that possibly the fact that they'd had to heat one of the locking nuts last time might have influenced things, possibly the car has settled on its suspension in the intervening weeks, or possibly the fact that it's an old car with old nuts and bolts just all added up to the steering wheel not quite lining up true last time out. He also said that sometimes they don't get it right first time, but they're always only too happy to check and re-adjust if needs be. You can't say fairer than that.

Whatever, I absolutely believe that it's not what happens it what you do about it that counts, so full marks to National Tyres Selby for their excellent customer service.

They did say that although the two front tyres are different (Cooper and Avon) the two brands are actually made by the same factory on the same production lines, and are very similar - and certainly, it's hard to tell the tread patterns apart. They reckon it unlikely that this of itself would be enough to cause the issue, and the difference in tread depth is too marginal to matter.

Thanks for all the comments - as ever, this site is a mine of really useful information and insight.

Cheers

Jack
I've highlighted what i think is the real answer Jack, fair play for them actually admitting that as too many places don't and will try to blame the equipment. You should have a fairly positive "centre-feel" on the steering now as well?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: