View Single Post
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 12:49   #24
Chris Bodger

Hi, new here tonight from Australia.

I was reading this thread as I have some similar issues with a 2005 XC90 2.5T I picked up for very little money. It has high K's and the power steering fluid was a very dirty brown colour.

There was some free play which I thought could be in the rack and and the steering would grind a little when turning lock while stationary.

I took to emptying the reservoir and filling again (several times) with some Penrite Full Synthetic ATF fluid that I had (Red) and it seemed to improve the grinding.

I then noted that during high speed sweeping turns that the steering wheel would pulsate and so I did some more reading. I discovered here that the Volvo's use CHF11S and I found the Australian equivalent from Penrite called LDAS. 2 Liters later after a few more emptying and refilling of the reservoir I thought it seemed a lot better and the pulsing was going away.

Next morning with cold fluid I noted a sticky point on the wheel at 5 to 12 on the clock and each time the wheel passed this point it would click. when the Power Steering fluid warmed up this would correct itself and all seemed much happier.

Then tonight the pulsing is back with a vengeance. The steering wheel pulses and the pump surges at standstill. Fluid level is fine, hose clamps tight and belt not slipping, higher revs no different.

I'm trying to figure out if I have a standard rack or a Servotronic rack.
From Gazza's original post I cant see any pictures and I cant locate the servotronic relay on the car. If I can eliminate that then at least ill now its not a lot of sludge in the rack blocking the solenoid.

If someone could tell me the location of the servotronic relay I can eliminate that.

Next I was planning a few more fluid changes with the LDAS as it is still quite dark after running through the system. Hoping I can improve it again.

Any advice to avoid spending more on the car than I actually paid for it would be appreciated.

Cheers
Chris Bodger is offline   Reply With Quote