Thread: Coolant spec?
View Single Post
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 20:11   #20
scbamber

Interesting comments about the colour of the coolant not changing. Here is my experience..

At the 6th-year service on my 2015 D4 (which I've had from new) I accepted the customer-facing service desk's offer/suggestion of a (chargeable) change of antifreeze. I knew it would be done with the Volvo vacuum tool that empties the system completely before refilling it with the new stuff. As it happened I had wondered a couple of days earlier if it was time to change it, and had looked at it inside the reservoir. I found a pale greenish colour, and saw some bits of fine debris floating around as well.

That night after the service I looked in the reservoir just in case it might need a minor top-up if the hour's drive since the service had shifted some air pockets in the system - it was obvious that the coolant had not been changed. I removed 100ml into glass and compared it with what remained in the container of Volvo concentrate left in the car at my request. They were very different. The new stuff was bluish not greenish.

Next morning at the dealer's, the receptionist sent out a young technician. He removed the reservoir cap, took one look inside and said "It's obviously not been changed". The receptionist then confirmed the work had not been put on on the Workshop sheet, but she was astonished to see it was itemized on my bill!

I asked to see the Service Director, who came out and said that the technician who did the work was on his day off, but that it had definitely been changed. I asked the young guy to say what he had just told me, likewise the receptionist, and showed him my invoice. Despite the evidence the Service boss began to bluster, but still insisted the work had been done. I stood my ground, and told him I wanted it changing whilst I waited. "If you insist" he said rather haughtily and rather unpleasantly.

The young technician took the car and did the change whilst I had my coffee. He brought the car back, said he had done it personally,

I sent a letter of complaint to the owner of the dealership. He gave an extremely good reply of apology, refunded the full charge, and got the Service Director to phone me. The Director's attitude this time was very different and excellent: he apologised profusely, and said he could only think it happened because of a mix-up in communication between Reception (who entered the itemisation on the bill) and the Workshop.

Bottom line: the colour of the new stuff was quite different from the old stuff. Either Volvo have changed it over the years (which is what the Service Director said on his phone call), or it has degraded somehow. It has never needed topping up from new, so there is no question of a cracked block, head or leaking head gasket etc.

2nd bottom line: not for the first time the Dealership, a family business, have acted well for me. I have full confidence in them

Last edited by scbamber; Sep 19th, 2021 at 20:15.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote