View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 13:52   #51
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
With all of the parts and tools to hand this morning it was time to resume battle.

Jacking up front end, front wheel ,front disc, caliper, and caliper yoke removal all went swimmingly, not least because I had re-fitted everything with the old bolts and done them up finger-tight.
Applied chisel and hammer to hub dustcap and pried it off.
Applied 36mm socket and 18" breaker bar to hub nut and then stand on bar to crack the nut.
So far, so good.
Remove remains of old backing plate - also simple.
Use the bolt removers to extract the old backing plate bolts and put a pound coin in the swear box.
At this point it all went horribly wrong.
The backing plates, which are allegedly correct for an ABS-equipped car, don't fit. Put another pound in the swear box.
Re-fit the hub to the stub axle, and discover that it will not rotate at all. The hub bearing has collapsed, thereby preventing the hub from turning. Much industrial language, albeit under my breath, follows. Empty wallet into swear box.
Re-assemble front end, have a brew and couple of biscuits and give up for the day.
You should be able to reassemble the hub bearing, i've had to do that a few times - find the right spot and they go back with no pressure, wrong spot and no amount of pressure will get the inner races back in!

Then hold them together while refitting on the stub axle. Use a long tube to push the inner race onto the stub, nothing else or you risk popping them out again.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: