View Single Post
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 12:38   #1
Davadava

Default D5 engine used without oil. Very sad :-(

Dear All

Any of you lovely folk able to advise please?

Our beautiful XC70 2011 MY D5 205hp 63,000 miles FVSH, belts and transmission oil changed 12m ago at 60,000 miles

Built to our specification and owned since new.

Main Dealer oil service yesterday seemed to take a while longer than usual.

Manager came to see me to tell me that engine became noisy, knocking, juddering on test drive "for no obvious reason."

"To be further investigated tomorrow"

Today an apologetic phone call explaining that "the technician remembered that he had changed the filter, fitted the sump plug and forgot to add oil." He had popped into work today on his day off to explain - decent chap.

We are all human I suppose.

However...."the car was warmed up on the ramp and driven out of the bay and back in again as the car was making some noise. Oil was then added and the car taken on a road test.

The noises continued and worsened."

Sump has been removed and a bit of damage to a shell seen.

1. The good news is that the cause for the problem is known - oil starvation
2. The concerning news is.....well can you folk advise please?

I'm concerned that damage may have happened that is present now or may affect any engine oil lubricated components down the line.

It is our family caravan holiday tow car (hence transmission fluid replacement at 60k) and we are to use it for a 3 week caravan trip in the near future to the continent.

Our earlier XC70 D5 163 passed 200k miles without issue. I'm less than convinced that this one will do quite so well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dealer Principal back next week.

Thanks in advance

David

Last edited by Davadava; Jul 16th, 2021 at 12:56.
Davadava is offline   Reply With Quote