View Single Post
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 22:30   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvulus View Post
The cap is the original 1992 as far as I know, I was wondering if it could be suspect.

I cleaned out some sludge from the tank and looked at the 2 poppet valves in the cap; were a bit brown with rusty water but seemed to work.

Are they prone to fail?

I keep the level at the max mark or just below.

thanks for reply Ken
You almost certainly need a new expansion tank cap!

Yes, they are prone to failure.

That level is too high! Should be on the "MIN" mark or just above when cold, the big clue is in the name of "expansion tank" - it allows the coolant to expand and get to the "MAX" mark when hot. Over that and it will escape via the easiesst route which could well be the cap.

Try a new cap, get some new Jubilee clips and any others you find weeping, renew them. Given the B200 is known to be prone to piston slap on #4 cylinder if there are no other coolant losses after renwing the cap and the hoses/Jubilee clips, i'd accept it as the car getting older. As someone else mentioned, dropping some engine oil into the cylinder (via the spark plug hole) and repeating the test will confirm if the rings are worn.

Just to confirm, when you did the compression test, did you pull the fuel pump fuses and open the throttle wide for each test?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: