View Single Post
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 11:36   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I suspect that with hidden software modifications, minor insurance claims would never bring the matter to light. The real and extremely dangerous risk is if you are involved in a major accident with huge liability claims. At that point the insurers will turn over the wrecked car to insurance assessor engineers who will conduct full in depth forensic investigations of the car and one of the easiest approaches is to hook up the car's ECU to investigative software that will identify any modifications. At that point you would be totally screwed as an invalidated insurance would render you liable to full liability for any claims against you and possible criminal charges for driving an uninsured car in which you had a serious accident. You might get away with a Volvo upgrade but even that would probably disqualify you if it wasn't mentioned to the insurers. Nothing can be hidden as all the details about the modification, including the date when it was done, may be available to the investigators.

Gloom and doom but things like tuning boxes have a very bad insurance reputation as add-on go faster boy racer devices. Polestar will tend to be accepted as a more respectable option by the underwriters and some might not even charge extra premium for it. An insurance assessor just needs good eyesight to spot a tuning box!
Many insurers have waived any Polestar fee for many many years as long as you tell them about it ....