View Single Post
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 08:14   #1
nrobinson

Default Rear suspension clatter – whats been modified!?

I’m getting a lot of clatter from my 2003 car when going over uneven road / bumps.

I initially thought it was the rear parking brake components, but having temporarily removed them proved that it is not the fault and I have moved on to the suspension.

I can simulate some of the noise by bouncing on the towball but still very difficult to identify the problem.

What I wasn’t aware of until starting to investigate is that XC90’s are fitted with Nivomat Self levelling suspension. I’ve read differing stuff – some suggesting that all UK cars were fitted with it… but VIDA parts lists do seem to also list non self-levelling shocks as parts.

I’ve used VIDA to connect to the car and cant find anything that lists it in there. The vehicle details is blank with a message that there is no connection to the QD90 system, which I guess is a central database.

I’ve also read that you can identify whether Nivomat was fitted from the Vin plate coding and if you have 26 or 48 in the code the car was fitted with it.
My code is 321764126952 so if this is a way of tell it would suggest self levelling fitted – or at least was and that’s my problem!

It looks like the shocks have been changed by a previous owner. I need to double check but I think there is a faint marker on the shocks indicating they are Monroe.

The thing that’s now running through my mind is whether this was done properly. I believe if you change to standard shocks you also need to change the springs.

Is there a way I can easily identify whether the springs are the original or not?

Any thoughts from anyone that know the suspension setup on these vehicles well?

Many thanks
Nick
nrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote