View Single Post
Old Dec 17th, 2020, 22:05   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeky6 View Post
I'm in the same boat. My S90 D4 is coming up to its 2 year/36k mile service soon. It's £465 with my local Volvo dealer (Hatfields, Bury).

I made enquiries with a couple of independants who seem to be well reviewed on here - Hallmark, Stockport and Trevor Burgess, Hyde. I was thinking about going independant as I intend to keep the car for a long time so a full, main dealer history isn't essential for me.

Hallmark quoted me £185+VAT but Trevor Burgess quoted me £350 (inc VAT) but they itemised what they would do as follows:

Cost as follows

5.2 litre Oil 47.32
Oil filter 13.20
Sump plug 1.30
Engine flush 9.60
Pollen filter 44.60
Air filter 30.80
Fuel filter 46.20
Grease & fluids etc 8.00
Labour 90.00

Vat 58.20
Total 349.22

Is there an itemised service schedule for reference anywhere so you can see exactly what should be done on each service? The service page on Volvo website suggests that the 2 year service is only oil and filter change and then mostly just checks. And if that's the case then why is it £465 when the 1st service was only £225? (that was done before I took delivery of the car in January 2020).

I'm just wondering whether Trevor Burgess are wanting to do stuff that's not necessary or Hallmark aren't doing stuff that is. I'm not after making shortcuts but I don't want to be doing stuff that's not needed.

Any guidance here would be welcomed.

Looking at the above .

The 2nd year / 36000 mile service is the bigger one , fuel filter and air filter extra
Are they using the correct volvo specification oil ? RBS0-2AE 0W-20.
They should be using exactly 5 litres , Hopefully they know how to calibrate the oil level gauge which is part of the volvo service .

Engine flush is a money making con , totally un-necessary , that's why you pay for the top quality oil , to keep the internals clean .

Exactly what grease and fluids are they charging you £8 for ?

The free total software upgrade is very attractive at the dealer service , These new cars are having software improved on a monthly basis .

Just a few points to ponder .