View Single Post
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 11:20   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I inherited a 240 rack from my Aunts dead 240 GLT. I had a 1986 740 and simply unbolted the 3 mounting brackets on one side and fitted them internally from memory. It fitted fine and no issues with even 10 sheets of 8x4 plasterboard half inch thick each. Was in France at time and drove home the 8 miles with around 250KG on the roof! Mine was the full length but flap at front and rear bar that lowered in aluminium.

Pictured here fitted to my 240GLT which I bought years after the 740 and a Corolla. Kept the rack when PX the 740!

A very kind offer! Not many around now!

James
I don't have a photograph James, but the rack that I had was slightly different.

From memory, it was a genuine Volvo accessory. It had a metal frame and cross pieces, and a number of longitudinal slats in timber.

This rack attached to the car in six positions, but, unlike yours, wasn't totally flat. Instead, it had a slight curvature across the width of the car. More often seen on Amazons and 1 - series cars, I also used mine successfully on a 245, when it proved more than capable of carrying an upturned 3-man marine ply dinghy with ease.

As far as I recall, there was no provision made for increasing the width, short of cutting it and welding in extension pieces.

Regards, John.