Thread: V50 Problem
View Single Post
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 13:13   #1
MPlb

Yesterday whilst driving my 4 month old V50 2.0D down the autoroute at about 130km/h there was a loudish bang, loss of power and lots of black smoke from the exhaust.

I pulled onto the hard shoulder and the engine carried on running but sounded very sick. I continued at about 20km/h for about 2 kilometres to the next exit and pull into a local BMW dealer. The engine was very spluttery whilst crawling along.

Their mechanic kindly looked it over and thought there was a problem with the turbo. When I pressed the accelerator there was a loud whistling noise with more black smoke from the exhaust.

So, I called the breakdown service as I didn't want to risk driving it any further.

When the breakdown guy arrived he discovered that a pipe from the turbo to the engine had become disconnected. I don't know exactly what this pipe joins together but it is located at the bottom front of the engine (to the right of the car if you look at it from the front). THe jubilee clip that held it on was just screwed on hard enough.

The mechanic re-fixed the pipe and everything seems fine now and it's running normally.

My question is whether or not I should to take it to a Volvo dealer for them to check it out? Could any damage have been done with this sort of failure at 130km/h?

The car is only 4 months old with 6000kms on the clock.