View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2012, 14:32   #1
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.
Default HU 850 Radio CD Player not working.

Help please with the HU 850 Radio cd unit that is fitted to my 2006 Volvo S60.

Yesterday, following torrential rain overnight, without warning the radio would not play.
The display lights up normally, i can flick through the stations, i can select CD and hear it select or change disc if i wish but there is no sound apart from a regular crack through the speakers every 5 seconds or so.

I have a Parrott CK3100 routed through it and this is still behaving normally and will accept a call using the cars speakers as output.

Now for the real fun part, every now and again the radio or cd , if switched on will burst into life at FULL VOLUME and this cannot be turned down. It will play like this for 10 seconds or so and then revert back to the previous description. On other occaissions it just comes on normally , i have full control of the volume etc but again after 10 seconds or so it reverts back.

Thinking that the rain may have been a factor I have lifted the plastic windscreen scuttle cover to see if any water was visible around the CEM but it seems fine.

These exact symptoms have been described by others on here but apart from using a replacement Head Unit no one seems to have identified what the fault is and how to fix it. You would definitely think something had gone amiss with the volume control within the head unit itself and if so surely a competent radio/tv engineer should be able to sort it.

Darryl

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote