View Single Post
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 03:34   #13
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS40 View Post
My 55 plate 2006 looks nothing like the focus. ( 93k miles )
In fact it's totally rust free.

Probably the best and most reliable car i have ever had in 50 years of driving, which includes many much newer cars.
Purchased 4.5 years ago for what was a bit above the market rate but never looked back.
Well, they do say Volvo drivers don't know what a mirror is for ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
It is easy to 'knock' cars today, but it is also important to remember just how far we have come in corrosion prevention. The very worst examples are infinitely better than what was accepted as 'normal' even 40 years ago. Two quick examples:
- An '82 Maxi in champagne beige (the last year of production) that we bought at 6 months old required a bottom half respray at 18 months old, and
- A '78 Mini which I bought new (and paid extra for a full anti-corrosion treatment) rotted out both front wings before it was five years old.

Another car that really did rot out before your very eyes was the late '50s Vauxhall Victor - a neighbour's had more holes in it than a string vest before it was even a year old. We have come a very long way since those days - it may help to remember that!
Here, rust has become something you just don't see on anything made properly since about 1995 (I say "made properly" to cover rusty Landrover Discoveries - it was a poor construction decision not to paint the firewall of a vehicle that's likely to be wading, my mate's Disco II rusted before he ever took it offroad & was fixed under the 3yr warranty).

But it wasn't uncommon to see cars made in the 70's, regardless of where they came from, with rust bubbles by the time they were 2 years old. I can't imagine what it'd have been like where they salt the roads, did the 1yr manufacturer warranty cover rust?

Last edited by Forg; Jan 18th, 2022 at 03:42.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote