View Single Post
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 18:00   #12
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I can't comment on Ford as the most recent example that I have owned was a 1961 105E Anglia which by now will almost certainly have departed for the big scrapyard in the sky.

I do know that Volvos last well, but ultimately even good Swedish steel will eventually rust. My '87 745, which I had owned for 18 years when, in 2016, it finally succumbed to terminal corrosion, being a good example. The least good Volvo was a very early '75 (N) 244, on which the tops of both front wings perforated at 12 years old - this was before wheel arch liners became standard fitment.

It is easy to 'knock' cars today, but it is also important to remember just how far we have come in corrosion prevention. The very worst examples are infinitely better than what was accepted as 'normal' even 40 years ago. Two quick examples:
- An '82 Maxi in champagne beige (the last year of production) that we bought at 6 months old required a bottom half respray at 18 months old, and
- A '78 Mini which I bought new (and paid extra for a full anti-corrosion treatment) rotted out both front wings before it was five years old.

Another car that really did rot out before your very eyes was the late '50s Vauxhall Victor - a neighbour's had more holes in it than a string vest before it was even a year old. We have come a very long way since those days - it may help to remember that!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Jan 17th, 2022 at 18:11.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post: