View Single Post
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 16:05   #1
SiliconS

Default '07 XC90 ABS reluctor ring replacement: part of drive shaft?

Hello dear forum.
My 2007 XC90 D5 auto has been throwing ABS and DTSC errors for a while. On left-hand turns the ABS kicks in and limits power with a flashing orange warning light. After 10-20 mins on some journeys the whole system shuts down and two orange lights come on solid with a warning in the message display. I don't feel anything unusual through the brake pedal, but sometimes I feel as though I can hear a quiet sound from the ABS pump (even though I'm not using the brakes).

My iCarsoft CR Pro code reader reports error "0022 Wheel sensor right front mechanical fault".

The forum says the most common cause of this error is a rusty & split reluctor ring. Makes sense.
Last year, after watching several YouTube videos showing how to replace the reluctor ring I bought a new ring, pulled the hub away to slide the driveshaft out, and discovered that my car seems to have a completely different set-up than those I saw in the videos.

The ring seems to be integral to the driveshaft/CV joint. It's encased in plastic with just the outside surfaces of the ring teeth showing through the plastic. I can't get the plastic off to see what condition the ring is in, but the surfaces I can see look surprisingly shiny and in a good state. I'd take a photo... but it's cold and raining.

Is the ring on my car part of the CV joint? Do I have to replace the whole driveshaft to fix this flippin' issue??

(Apologies if this question is commonly asked and answered in these forums. I've Googled several phrases and none has given me the answer.)
SiliconS is offline   Reply With Quote