lixah
Master Member

Default interesting issues with a 940 turbo

vehicle information

Volvo 940 1997
B230FK
manual M90 gearbox

Mileage: ~113000

(i thought it was interesting to note, this is a low mileage and low owner car, and only recently had the timing belt done , a sticker showing 09/2020 (109195 miles)) - at least according to the sticker

symptoms;

lambda warning light illuminated on the dashboard.

very hard to explain; a rattle/grinding sound - SOMETIMES. this sounds like it's coming from the offside front, i actually originally thought it was suspension related, however after having driven this car for a couple of hours, i have changed my mind) so it almost sounds like something's loose and just rattling/grinding on metal, i've very much tried to match it to a certain speed or RPM, however there seems to be logical connection, and it will come and go randomly - however, it's quite apparent that the engine vibration can affect or even remove completely the noise , example; driving at 70 MPH on the motorway, no noise, foot down, noise starts slightly , let off and it's gone again. however /generally/ as a rule it seems to be when first moving off from stopped. it almost makes me think there's something loose inside the gearbox??

lastly, this is the first day i have owned the car, it was purchased from a scrap dealer who didnt want to scrap it- and it's understandable why, it's tidy inside and out, and also has low miles, i wanted to save it too!

i also dont believe he knew anything about the issue, likely. since i only heard the vibration/rattle before this, it was about an hour into my journey home that i started to have a real problem. drive started to cut out, it felt like fuel cutting out, like a fuel pump failure or something. i quickly took the next exit off, and managed to get into a quiet spot in an emergency lane.

for the next 30 min i couldnt get much power, however the engine never cut out, but would almost die when trying to accelerate (IN FIRST)
another weird thing, because of where i was stopped, trying to merge back onto the roundabout/get the lane that i needed, combined with not being able to accelerate, i had to reverse a good few times, what has me puzzled, is that it never seemed to have an issue in reverse, and then randomly i was also able to pull away again, in first. and while the rattle/vibration noise didnt go away (i was very very careful to try and keep to just gently rolling behind faster traffic) i didnt have any other issues on the way home.

other potential symptoms: when i first got to the car to collect, the coolant reservoir was empty, we put about 1L into it, and it doesnt seem to have gone done , i checked it again when home (around 120 miles) but thought it might be worth mentioning - ALSO, it appears to have had a new radiator very recently, i checked both top and lower radiator hoses got up to temp, and the car held a good temp all the way. i put this down to likely bad maintenance / not being cared by the last owner.

I am quite stumped at where to start looking at this, but i would really like to save this car, rather than part it out, as it's still low mileage, and the best combination, and half tidy.

Regards, Matthew
lixah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lixah For This Useful Post: