Thread: Death of my D5?
View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 00:16   #21
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Totally agree reference the recon. To recon something professionally requires full strip down, replacement of high wear items and measurement/specification of items subject to wear. All bearings and friction linings replaced etc. For a home mechanic with a second vehicle (I.e. someone like me) this is doable.

For a remanufacturer however paying the Labour rates they do it will cost so
Much as to not be viable. Accordingly remanufactured now a days really does so often mean degreased, new timing belt and off you go.

10,000 miles down the line you have leaking camshaft oil seals, etc etc etc all of which should have been replaced.

Getting a 40,000 mile engine with history is a go, as is getting a genuine rebuilt one, but many of these £1,800 reconditioned units really are just pressure washed….

In my opinion of course.
A lot of engine recon shops use very cheap pattern parts. The Ford TDCi 2.2 Diesel engine, which was in the Jag X Type, Mundano, LR Defender and Ford Ranger and blows up regularly due to oil pump failure is often sold as recon for around £1,500, but I've seen a lot of members on the Ranger forums complaining they only last 20-30k before the bottom end spins a bearing.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: