View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 21:42   #46
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I've not tried the manual version of either car and I accept that the automatic transmissions are two completely different animals. I think I should have prefaced 'underpowered and gutless' by the the word 'Slightly'. I'm splitting hairs here. The D5 has a full Volvo service history from the local dealer and had the relevant service before just before we bought it. I've no reason to believe there's anything wrong with it. However, things do change so getting the codes read may be a wise move.

In fairness, the fuel economy is in line with that experienced by other forum members so I don't think there's an issue; It's just not as good as I could get with the older engined car. My wife usually drives the D5 and she has a heavier right foot than I do so this may have a little to do with it.

With regard to performance, the older car is quicker off the mark but I'm sure the difference is entirely due to the transmission. I suspect the Geartronic may 'think' too hard rather than simply getting on with it, like the older unit does.

Despite my comments I'm very happy with the D5 and if I hadn't been able to make a direct comparison, I doubt I'd have even thought much about it.

We'll be taking the D5 for it's first long journey, a trip to Austria and the Czech Republic so it will be interesting to see if I've revised my opinion when we return.

Martin
Martin Cox is online now   Reply With Quote