View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2021, 11:23   #4
Bomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP View Post
Most likely wheel bearing. Replaced 3 on my S80 in last few months. All noises eliminated.

Does your noise intensify on left turns as the load shifts on to the right hand wheels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Check your tires for "cupping" which is the term for when the inner or outer edge exhibits a series of dips, around the circumference. I had this on the rear of my S80 due to rear bush wear & tear, and that caused a humming noise. Even if it sounds like it's coming from the front, it could be coming from the rear as it's often difficult to tell.
Thanks gents - just had the wheel off and nothing untoward looking, CV boots etc all look intact. Swapped the front wheels round so will see if that shifts the noise to the other side... I doubt it though as the tyre looked fine, no cupping that I could see.

My gut says it's a wheel bearing. Is that a fairly easy job? And can you just buy the bearings or do you have to buy a whole new hub assembly? Forgive me if they are stupid questions, I'm very much a weekend warrior when it comes to car mechanics!
Bomster is offline   Reply With Quote