Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 05:40   #2774
Othen
Premier Member

Default The Royal Barge

Regular readers will have noticed all has been quiet on the RB front since my acquisition of Great Aunt Maud. The reason is simple: nothing goes wrong with the RB. Whilst my focus has been on GAM, doing the jobs that have been needed to make the motor car safe and reliable, I've been using the RB as my daily driver around town. The RB always starts straight away, everything always works and it drives more or less like a modern motor car - so there has been nothing interesting to report on (apart from: it is a really good, reliable but still interesting motor car).

I have one outstanding job to do, that is fitting the nearside plastic wheel lined from a 940 that I got from Luke, but that will wait until I change the wheels back to the summer Virgos in the spring. I've decided not to undertake the AW71 conversion - and the reason is I have concluded it would detract from what the RB has become. The BW55 box works perfectly and entirely suits the nature of the RB.

I'm really pleased with the RB project, it has absolutely achieved its aim (from more than 2 years ago). It is the perfect first historic motor, allowing me plenty of time to indulge in its great aunt.

What a fortunate chap I am: both the RB and GAM on my driveway.

Alan