View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:10   #6
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

OK.. The more I think about it and watches the pictures of this car - the more I realise that this is close to a scam..

Is it wise to throw out such a hard accusation? Well, it may not create friends, but OK - here's my observations:

General observation:
A 1958 Amazon - is probably the most stupid Amazon to choose for Rally (or any form of sport) -driving..
Rear end/panel and boot is very weak and it wasn't untill arround later '62 models that the chassis was hugely made stronger arround suspension and rear panel.
A B16 (A or B - doesn't matter) engine and (original M4) gearbox are not a strong and reliable drivetrain. Weak transmission and low horsepower, weak propellar and rear end mount - for rally??
1958 brakes - are among the most difficult brakes to restore - cylinders are very special and the complete setup is not at all as later models.

In general - if one wanted to drive rally (or should we say, historic rally) - one would choose a later yearmodel Amazon, so that at least most drivetrain, suspension and brake parts are easy available.

Sum up: A 1958 Amazon is a weak car, it's a slow accelerating and slow braking car - it's a completely different construction, suspension, drivetrain, front and rear end - from later models, which are so much more easy available. Choosing a 1958 model for aggressive driving - well, is at the most close to stupid.

The "Historic Rally Amazon" - is it false and fraud?

Well, I would say that it's easy to read my opinion between the lines - so I wont state a direct/specific judgement - but here follows my observations - and mind: I haven't seen or read ANYTHING other than the add provides of info and pictures..
Most easy way is to go over each picture - from A to B - yes, it does make my post long - but it's enthusiastic!

Picture 1:

Wrong:
- wings/front/grill/lights/indicators are of later models

Here's a 1958:

Picture 2:

Wrong:
- where's the 1958 boot lock? - maybe this is why they put those "rally-straps" on the boot - because the car isn 't actually a 1958 with the very different rear panel?
- what's with that huge exhaust pipe? - does it correspond with the B16 engine? Well, it's taste I know - but "performance enhancement"?..

Here's a 1957 rear panel with boot lock (same in 1958 models):

Picture 9: (a little jump in the order, sorry)

- and the above 1957 lock/panel from inside:

Yes! - You could argue that the lock and corresponding panel was cleaned out in the name of "quick release" boot.. But then I say: Quick release boot? For what? What's in the boot when rally'ing? - and not the least: Why didn't they then do it to the hood/bonnet????? THAT would reason..

Pictures 3,4 and 5:

Well, not much to add - of course the wheels are later (1965-70) style, the mirrors are later, but OK let's give 'em some slack..

Pictures 6, 7 and 8:

Wrong: (or at least strange...)

- what's with the blue straps? A window-"winder"? Why are the stock winder then there? Not much weight lowering - but fancy looking, yes!
- upper door panels: Where's the extension of the dashboard cushion?
- dashboard looks to be from a 1965 or later.. (switches and panic-handle on right side, heater control DID move to the middle in very late 1958's)

Some real give aways:
- accelerator/speeder pedal is floormounted in a 1958
- prop.tunnel in a 1958 is narrow
- rubber moulds on doors where glued on in 1958 (not in a channel)
- on the 1958 model, there was a little tiny chrom mould on the B-pillar, see (next picture below):

A 1958 dashboard and note the accelerator/speeder pedal mount: (the spedometer in this picture is of later model)

- yes the chromed bit could have been removed, but the B-pillar is different from later models anyway..

Picture 10:

This is a real give away..

I'll just post a true 1958 engine compartment/bay:

And I'll only pin-point the total give aways:
- the spring/hinge-style of the bonnet/hood
- firewall - note the huge differences arround brake/clutch pedal box
- complete heater system and especially the air-intake..
Tons of other details, yes - but the 3 things above is not just a matter of a missing part or just a later part - it's structual differences..

Picture 11 and 12:

Just notice the very different cross member across the radiator..

I could go on with details here and there - but I'll jump to my conclusion:

This can not be a serious attempt to build an Amazon for rally.
It's fun! Yes, and there are lots of opportunities for next owner to build on and make it personal.

And whispered: I think it's a 1965/66 4 door that they builded out of all the left over parts in the garage - and for fun they tried to make it look older and rally like. A scam? Fraud? Maybe not - but seller's story is..

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Jul 17th, 2009 at 10:22. Reason: Spelling
ClassicVolvoShop is offline   Reply With Quote