Thread: 240 General: - H Reg 240, Project Thread
View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 08:51   #24
hreg240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well done for re-sizing the photos, they are much easier to view now.

I think it is a really good idea to do as you are now: make a list of project jobs at the outset (even if you can't get round to them all just yet). I always start a spreadsheet to record projects costs from the very start: it is so easy to get carried away with spending on older motor cars (and they almost never recoup the costs).

Rust will be your most important challenge, particularly on an estate car. Be ruthless in assessing it now, rather than just accept it as 'quite solid'. Hamerite is a good idea, not only to help prevent further rust, but also to remind yourself where you have found any evidence so you check there again. Anywhere you can see a hole will be much worse underneath, it is like an iceberg. Don't allow yourself to put any bling stuff on the project list until you have the rust and any mechanical and electrical issues under control.

You got your motor car for a fair price, so it should be possible to contain the overall project costs. All the above is just my advice of course; it is up to you what you do with your motor car.

Good fortune,

The smaller thumbnails certainly are much nicer!

I quite agree with you Alan, I have started my usual check-list of jobs to do.

I've just purchased the serviceable parts (all three filters, fresh oil, spark plugs), as well as enough new fuses so that I can replace all of the current ones.

I'm going down to the local dealer tomorrow to discuss a timing belt change. I had asked to have the belts / tensioner ready for collection, but as this is a crucial job (with the car having an interference engine), I would rather err on the side of caution and have a professional do this job. Thus, I am going to discuss booking the car in for the belts to be done.

I shall have to wait until the outcome of that discussion tomorrow to comment any further, but with budget constraints, I am thinking of having it booked in at the end of April - when I should have some more 'free cash'. The timing belt has only done 20,000 miles, but, of course, it is 5 years overdue the 5 year change time - which is a worry.

Although, in saying that, the previous owner wasn't exactly a hoodlum; I am sure it hasn't been driven to its limits.

...Anyway. For all interested, this weekend's jobs:
  • Service the car with the aforementioned parts
  • Remove the rear bumper and o/s rear light cluster to assess the rust damage
  • Go over the car with my pot of hammerite and deal with any areas that are cause of concern
  • Apply some heat to the windscreen surround (chrome and rubber trim) and re-mould it. This is because it has become misshapen
hreg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hreg240 For This Useful Post: