View Single Post
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 08:40   #5
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I put a post in the V60 forum a couple weeks ago because I was considering changing to a V60 with a D4 VEA. I'd read your threads in the S80 etc section so was aware of the oil consumption issues. I very nearly chopped my S80 in for very reasonably priced V60 and backed out due to this very issue. I can't live with buying a car which is very likely, if not already to have this issue. Its a huge shame because it's taken away my trust in the brand and the comfiest seats I've ever sat in.

I found a post on Swedespeed which reckoned engines after a certain number - 1501327 had modified parts, but it still feels like a big risk to take.
I'm very sorry about that.

I've actually been playing around with the idea of trading my V70 D4 in for a D5 of similar vintage, but the cost of doing so would be greater than having new pistons, rings and valve oil seals fitted to my D4. Also, any replacement car would be an unknown quantity, and VED would be much higher.

I also suspect that the 8-speed auto in the D4 is a better box than the 6-speed in the D5, and that, strangely, the 4-cylinder VEA engine with its balancer shafts is probably, in the main, more refined than the 5-cylinder D5.

Moreover, my D4 has an R-Design spoiler on the back that the original owner was clever enough to buy, and I've not seen that spoiler on any other "final facelift" V70 at all.

As per my short (!!!) initial post, new pistons, rings and seals might not be a permanent fix, however, unless we can be certain that the new design oil control ring has been fitted to UK diesels and will do more than just hide the real culprit.

In terms of V60s, a late 5-cylinder D5, e.g. 64-reg, would be a lot of fun and would sidestep the VEA issue entirely. Now, there's a thought!

Bottom line, however, is that a proper root cause analysis is required wherein the results are shared openly. I also suspect that Volvo HAS carried out an root cause analysis AND knows the truth, but won't share it as they might get slaughtered for it.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post: