View Single Post
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 12:16   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60man View Post
After discovering a sudden and serious oil leak coming from the weep hole of the gearbox bell housing of my 2003 D5 and, after reading everything I could find on the subject on this forum, I decided it must be the core plug above the crankshaft that had come loose.
I bit the bullet and pulled the gearbox clutch and flywheel to find the core plug turned in the housing. I replaced the core plug with a new metal one from Volvo and to be on the safe side replaced the crankshaft oil seal. The oil seal Volvo supplied was of a different construction to the old one but it fitted fine.
After putting it all back together I thought job well done only to discover a week later engine oil was still leaking badly from the gearbox weep hole.
I have read on the forum members suffering the same problem when a main dealer carried out the work and returning the car to volvo to put right but I've never found out what they did.
Could it be a pressure build up in the crank case pushing oil past the seal due to a blocked oil separator? Any ideas would be most welcome.
Not much help to you now i know , But i have said on here many times , if your rear crank seal is dry always leave it well alone whatever the mileage ...

You really must use the special tool to fit the new type seal it holds the seal away from the Crankshaft whilst you fit the seal , the lip is probably turned over on itself .