View Single Post
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 20:58   #66
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
That is very helpful, I did take apart the digital one, also held together by a central screw, looked complicated, but I did see no series polarity protection diode.

Will have a look at the analogue one. Thanks again.
The basic digital one uses the same case as the analogue one with a plain plated/bezel in place of the clear meter screen so the basic circuitry is likely to be the same with an ADC/voltmeter chip set up to read the voltage across the Wheatstone Bridge and hence display the CO content.

The Gastester Professional i think it was called also has battery volts, rpm, dwell(?) as well as the CO readings. Oviously a bit more involved but i suspect on the simple digital one, it probably uses generic components so replacing the 7805 and possibly the ADC and/or display driver chip will get it up and running for you. The display being LED is of course protected anyway!

On both of them, adding a 1N4007 as a serie polarity protection diode will do the job, cheap, simple add-on to prevent further accidents! The 4007 is rated at 1A but then so is the 7805 so will be up to the job of protecting it happily.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: