View Single Post
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 09:43   #39
Turbodave
VOC Member

It's a vicious circle.

I currently drive for a supermarket, vans... and on Friday the forecourt at the store was queued round the car park, thus it was becoming an issue to fill said vans (they're topped up when they hit 1/2 tank usually) and being sat in the queue for an hour and more wasn't an option, schedules etc ect.

Late Friday night they temporarily closed the forecourt and fuelled all the vans, which is compounding the issue but the other option was to either lose hours sat waiting or have vans running out and cancelling deliveries. Saturday afternoon and after continuous queues all day and people filling their tanks, it's now empty as are a few others locally.

I need fuel in the car, light is on but I'm hoping that once the initial knee jerk reaction is over and Karen who's filled her XC90 now has enough fuel that she won't need to visit again till mid December given she works from home and the car does 7 miles a week to the school and back... plus a friend who drives HGV's has alluded that the local refinery hasn't really suffered any driver losses, bar the usual sick days etc but it's still business as usual and it's the fact panic buying has kicked in that has created the issues.

See also: bog rolls, water, pigs in blankets..

But what do you do, queue for an hour and stick a tenner in or join the sheep and fill the tank? My wife's currently away south of the border and put £50 in the car to get her home later plus see her through the rest of the week but she said didn't know whether to fill it or just fuel it as we normally do. It's a catch 22 situation, do you blindly follow the herd or pick your own path and deal with the consequences that may bring.

Frankly, the country is a mess just now... and I think a lot is down to the media and their need to the next big story, regardless of the facts and then the Facebookers just fuel the fire "OMG hun, have yooz herd theirs no fewl, best go and get some... even though uv not got a car, just fill up wee Jaysens water bottle hun xoxoxox" and we end up in a proper old mess.

It's madness.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post: