View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 09:02   #2
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcoutts View Post
Can anyone tell me if LM engines are rebuilds or are the built on unused cores?

I have a B20B that was installed in 1987 by my mechanic and I took the head off for the first time yesterday and see the pistons are .015 oversize, does that suggest something?
I don't know what you mean by "LM" but generally speaking automotive manufacturers with mass production products are mainly concerned with manufacture not snagging and remanufacture.

I don't know enough about Volvo's historic working practices but it seems to me unlikely that "the factory" in the 1980s would have had a department rebuilding engines that have already been released and "come back". I would expect that that kind of work would be done by the dealer network.

There could, however, have been a problem with the block during manufacture that might have resulted in the engine being rectified before being sent out into the big bad world.

If you think you bought a factory fresh engine back in 1987 and this was bought via a dealer / with Volvo service intervention then I think it is safe to assume that that is what you got (despite the oversized pistons). In the situation where "it had gone wrong again" then I imagine the waranty on the replacement engine would have been honoured wouldn't it?
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote