View Single Post
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 16:53   #93
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
That is not a bad idea at all, 'L.S.'. The 2 series is well up to occasional light towing duties and as you say many - especially estates - were so equipped from new. If Alan can bear to fit one to the R.B. it may be the answer to his dilemma.

I towed a light 6' x 4' trailer extensively in period with both 2 and 7 series cars with few issues. My cars were equipped for towing when I bought them and the BFWL functioned as normal, so presumably wiring for same was standard in period. I don't know if it will be of any help to Alan, but I also successfully carried one of those light 'spectacle' bike carriers directly on the towbar. They were ideal for mopeds and lightweight motor cycles, but I doubt that they would be suitable for heavy machines like Alan's Triumph.

Regards, John.
As I told Dave above John, my trailers are both 760kg, so well within scope for the RB as it is. I'm still not that keen, but I have about 18 months to come up with a plan.

I'm aiming to get down to just two bike as of this coming summer - so dispose of the CCM off roader and the 1976 Suzuki. I do have one of these trials bike carriers that would be ideal for either of those (but still needs a towbar to mount:

... yes that really is on a Fiat Panda with Dutch plates, and the bike did go all the way to Limburg (and back) on that.

Unfortunately that would not solve the problem as my triumph weighs about 250kg, and the Royal Enfield nearly 200kg:

I have a really nice Erde two-bike trailer that can carry both with an all up weight of no more than 700kg which works really well behind the Skoda. I could just keep the Skoda, it doesn't cost much to run, but I'm aiming to reduce rather than increase the number of vehicles I run over the next 10 months.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 2nd, 2022 at 18:14.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: