View Single Post
Old Jan 7th, 2023, 21:53   #18
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Disconnect the battery before either of these jobs

I did the accelerator pedal first.(a while ago) I actually removed the pedal in order to access the plug and loom. The pedal has 3 bolts, 2 easy and one not! The tricky one came out with a 1/4" drive and a few wobbly joints. One cable tie on the loom and then it can all be worked on in the footwell just. I did 1 wire at a time and then clicked that new terminal into the new housing until all 6 were done. I just stripped the end of each wire back 10mm, twisted the strands, tinned the wire, on both the loom and new terminal wire. I put a length of heat shrink on the terminal wire ready. I then soldered each new wire to the loom and slid the heatshrink over the solder join. I just knelt on the drive and sort of twisted a bit to get at the job. The soldering and jointing probably 4 out of 10 the access probably 7 out of 10. Bit fiddly so patience is required.

Again disconnect the battery first

The CEM end today was quite easy. Easier then the accelerator plug.
The green and brown plugs can be done without moving the CEM, there is a bit of insulation to remove first but that is it.
I did the Green plug first and it took about 40 mins.
I did the 2 data wires + the accelerator wire on this plug. the other 2 only did 2 data wires in each

Remove the plug by operating the lever, and then remove the red insert from the plug. The insert locks the pins into the plug housing.
I am still not sure how I actually released the pins!! the first 2 came out in the direction of the wire, the remaining ones pushed through, so had to cut the wire to release them from the plug.
I did one wire at a time and only cut each wire once the terminal was free. If they came out the wire side, I just pulled them out with the wire and then cut the terminal off. If the terminal pushed through I pushed it out by about 5mm to make sure it was released and then cut the wire to allow the terminal to pull out. Again I tinned both the loom wire and the new terminal wire, added some heatshrink, soldered the wires together and slid the heatshrink over the join. Finished each plug and put the red insert back and then shrunk the heatshrink. Sprayed contact cleaner and lubricant on each plug before plugging it back in.
The blue plug needed the CEM folding down, there is enough loom to allow the plug to pull out enough to work on.
Green plug 40 minutes
Brown plug 25 minutes
Blue plug 15 minutes
With practice it became quicker!!
I just knelt on the drive on a rubber mat and it was easy to lean in and work in the footwell.
4 out of 10, but I do soldering quite a lot.

The terminals slot into the housing with the crimp on the wire facing outwards. In the photo the "Crimped" side is the one showing
I left the red wires on the new terminals full length.
As I have done the accelerator wire at both ends with new terminals, as I am still getting a fault I might just run a new wire over and just solder into the new terminals I have just fitted. That is another day and should only take 30 mins.
Hope this helps. Hope I have covered it all. One picture shows the red insert.
Photos. Codes before, codes after work and reset, terminals changed
Attached Images
File Type: png Volvo CEM Coms Terminals copy.png (44.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 21.45.25.jpg (116.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9024.jpg (379.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9028.jpg (258.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 16.54.20.png (142.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by IainG; Jan 7th, 2023 at 22:02.
IainG is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post: