Thread: General: - Land Rover...
View Single Post
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 21:56   #8
ltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Hmmm.... the parking brake is the same as on any P2 Volvo, the issue is the foot pedal operation which drivers do not habitually use when parking up. But the Disco has a joke of a handbrake too which is an electronic conversion bodge job and costs substantially more to fix.

The 185's are more thirsty than the earlier 163's but the 200's are nearly as good as the 163's. But manuals are more economical than the auto's - especially on the E3 163 cars. I think I'm correct in saying manuals were dropped from MY2012 when the 200 BHP cars arrived.

At 2.25 tons it's not bad - the low limit is the 90kg nose weight. The only reason the Disco is 3.5 tons is because it has a low range gearbox (the towing capacity is based on the maximum weight the car car set off from rest on a 1 in 10 hill). The Disco is a better towing car no doubt - it's also a car this is towed a lot more often!!

The DPF's are fine on otherwise healthy cars - very reliable - as are the later 6 speed boxes and the haldex system is very reliable (as used on VAG 4 Motion cars). Rear subframes do get grotty but only now are we seeing a very few 2003/2004 cars fail MOT with it. You won't find one with body rot - not even the cars nearly 20 years old now - unless it's been repaired/repainted badly.
The disco handbrake isn't more to fix if you know what your doing. But more importantly when fixed will have 3 times the stopping power of an xc90 park brake.
Its still a very poor towing capacity for the weight of the car compared to a tiguan for example which can tow up to 2.5 ton and is considerably lighter. I wouldn't even want 2.25 ton on a steep hill though with the crap park brake.
And yes its subframes I'm talking about rotting. Doesn't matter if the body is good if your suspension arms are attached to a rotten subframe. You say 03 and 04 but I've seen fresher and I said in 3 to 4 years so then the rot will be up to the centre years of the xc90
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote