Thread: General: - Land Rover...
View Single Post
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 21:13   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
The xc90 has more failures on handbrake than any other make of car. The handbrake is an absolute joke. And to make it worse is pressed on with your wee toe.
Hmmm.... the parking brake is the same as on any P2 Volvo, the issue is the foot pedal operation which drivers do not habitually use when parking up. But the Disco has a joke of a handbrake too which is an electronic conversion bodge job and costs substantially more to fix.

Quote:
It has to be automatic as its not suitable for manual which increases fuel consumption. Mine is sore on fuel at about 27 mpg. You would think the mpg would have improved from the early one to the 185 but its actually worse. I dont know if the 200 has improved mpg.
The 185's are more thirsty than the earlier 163's but the 200's are nearly as good as the 163's. But manuals are more economical than the auto's - especially on the E3 163 cars. I think I'm correct in saying manuals were dropped from MY2012 when the 200 BHP cars arrived.

Quote:
Its towing capacity is very low for the weight of it. The disco is twice the towing car.
At 2.25 tons it's not bad - the low limit is the 90kg nose weight. The only reason the Disco is 3.5 tons is because it has a low range gearbox (the towing capacity is based on the maximum weight the car car set off from rest on a 1 in 10 hill). The Disco is a better towing car no doubt - it's also a car this is towed a lot more often!!

Quote:
The dpf does give trouble, the automatic gearboxes give trouble, the haldex diff gives trouble. Take a wee search through this forum if you want proof. They don't handle well cornering on twisty roads but are comfortable on long journeys. They are now starting to show signs of rot. My 2010 rear subframe isn't rotten but looks rough enough.
The DPF's are fine on otherwise healthy cars - very reliable - as are the later 6 speed boxes and the haldex system is very reliable (as used on VAG 4 Motion cars). Rear subframes do get grotty but only now are we seeing a very few 2003/2004 cars fail MOT with it. You won't find one with body rot - not even the cars nearly 20 years old now - unless it's been repaired/repainted badly.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 11th, 2021 at 21:16.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: