Thread: General: - Land Rover...
View Single Post
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 18:08   #4
ltec

The xc90 has more failures on handbrake than any other make of car. The handbrake is an absolute joke. And to make it worse is pressed on with your wee toe.
It has to be automatic as its not suitable for manual which increases fuel consumption.
Mine is sore on fuel at about 27 mpg. You would think the mpg would have improved from the early one to the 185 but its actually worse. I dont know if the 200 has improved mpg.
Its towing capacity is very low for the weight of it. The disco is twice the towing car.
The dpf does give trouble, the automatic gearboxes give trouble, the haldex diff gives trouble. Take a wee search through this forum if you want proof.
They don't handle well cornering on twisty roads but are comfortable on long journeys.
They are now starting to show signs of rot.
My 2010 rear subframe isn't rotten but looks rough enough. Im going to get it treated. I believe another 3 or 4 years will make a big difference.
Volvo try to tie everything up to make you go back to the dealer which are absolute rip off.
A lot of members on here look after their own cars so they are not hard to look after.
Get decent quality parts like lemforder suspension and skf bearings. Sometimes half the price of genuine and just as good. The park shoes need to be genuine though.I've just bought mannol transmission oil at nearly half the price of genuine. Volvo say it doesn't need changed but on here disagrees. Some dealer quotes on here for fixing things would right the car off.
I would recommend the vida computer they use on here as running back and forward to a dealer would put your smoke out.
There are some good mechanics on here with a lot of knowledge of the xc90 so you won't be stuck.
They are very comfortable and safe and well put together.
The disco 4 is supposed to have a lot of the disco 3 problems sorted out.
The problem is all cars have got worse. I used to judge a car on how it went through mot. Now mot is the least of your worries.

Last edited by ltec; Oct 11th, 2021 at 18:24.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote