View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2021, 16:49   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
It was £40.

If I was to go into Texaco & get £40 worth of premium fuel, I’d get just over half a tank (providing the car was low). So I don’t know where you think I’d be getting full tanks from for £40?

You’re basing it off say x amount extra for premium/V Power over what you’d be putting in anyway (normal diesel). I’m not counting litres at x pence per litre, fuelled up on such a date etc. Its a simple case of the carbon clean was £40... £40 of premium diesel (what was paid for the carbon clean) or V Power won’t get me full tank of fuel... no where near it.
When i started reading your reply Kev my first thought was "you've missed the point he was making" but the second paragraph shows you didn't.

However, the Ultimate/Premium version of fuel is roughly 8% dearer than the normal but generally gives better economy (i've known up to 50% inprovement over the base figure on supermarket 95 unleaded) and the £40 as 8% of a total fuel budget would give a £500 fuel budget.

Where i used to live, my neighbour had an XC70 from new with the 163bhp D5T engine. When he was short on money towards the end of the month, he'd fill up with Tesco diesel and then complain he was only getting 28-30mpg according to the fuel computer built in. When he got paid, he would use BP Ultimate and then be happy because he was getting 45-47mpg from it again. I pointed out it would be cheaper in the long run (and better for his car) to permanently run it on Ultimate but he couldn't see past those extra few pence per litre.

Not only do the premium versions give improved performance and economy, they also help keep the fuel system cleaner and the engine as a result.

Bottom line is that £40 would pay for the extra cost of premium over normal diesel (or petrol) for a lot of fuel and factoring in the economy savings it provides, even more.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote