View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2021, 12:25   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering has anyone had their vehicle carbon cleaned with hydrogen & what's your thoughts on it?

My understanding is the use of hydrogen is still classed as "carbon cleaning", but its not the same as TerraClean.

Replies/thoughts are welcome.
They sell kits on ebay to convert your car to run on Browns Gas aka heavy hydrogen aka oxy-hydrogen aka HHO that are claimed to improve emissions and economy. In practice, the energy needed to separate the molecules to derive the HHO is more than you'd get from burning said molecules. The energy to create this HHO in your car comes from the alternator and that gets its energy from the engine - see where i'm going with this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyhydrogen

Obviously an external machine feeding your engine HHO to burn off excess carbon in the inlet tracts, combustion chambers etc will have all the energy it needs but will only clean the engine during the time it's connected.
The engine will start making tiself dirty again as soon as you drive away but for the time it's connected, i doubt it will make a significant difference for any length of time.

Something that i tried (for a different reason) is water injection, a very simple system like a carburettor with a remote reservoir (float chamber) feeding a "jet" to draw water into the intake system to cool the incoming air by evaporative cooling, hence making it denser and more air in equals more efficiency. I hadn't at the time realised the obvious postive side effects - the evaporated water is effectively low temperature steam so helps clean the intake system and also the combustion chambers. Doesn't make a lot of difference to the power/economy on my 760 but on my other beast it does, about 15% more economy and a noticeable increase in power (or more to the point, an obvious drop in power when the reervoir runs out) but that has a more sophisticated ignition system that advances the timing until it detects knock/detonation then retards it slightly. This takes advantage of the main thing about the water injection, being colder the air coming in helps reduce the risk of detonation which is why positive pressure water injection systems are sold for use with modified turbo cars.
My system is very much a Heath Robinson effot but on a n/asp car, does the basic job. If i could force the Bosch EZK unit to advance the timing a bit i'm sure it would improve matters, i thought i had found the method but then discovered that it had been changed on the ECU in mine to another function.

That said it is a bit quieter after running for some time (months) on water injection, presumably because it's helped clean everything.

If you're looking for a quick "instant fix", assuming your car is petrol you may be better off trying something like Seafoam.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; May 11th, 2021 at 12:26. Reason: Add link
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote