Thread: Wanted 145 ???
View Single Post
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 06:25   #10
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Just a thought.

You currently have a 1994 940 estate. I had a 1987 745 turbo and finally sold it in 2014. It was a really useful vehicle; but, it was starting to creep up the wrong side of the bathtub reliability curve and I didn't need that because I already had a 142 resto on the go. Your 940 is about the same age as my 745 when I sold it so I expect that it is starting to suffer the advanced decrepitude phenomena. Its essentially transitioning to old (vintage???) status.

If you purchase a 145 you are going to have two old cars both of which will likely have ongoing maintenance and money requirements. That is OK if you have mad money available, spare time and a real car for regular driving duties. The thing is, you now have two old cars that are almost identical in their driving experience. The B230 T engine is quieter and more powerful than a B20 and the 940 has R&P steering so will feel slightly newer; but, they are fundamentally very close. Neither of them are sporty and the 145 will be slightly less pleasant (more 1960ish) to drive. If your objective is to create a Volvo estate collection, then OK. If you are looking for something a little different I would be inclined to try a P1800 or an Amazon, otherwise its just more of the same.
This is a really good point: the OP could end up with two quite similar motor cars (separated by 20 years - not long in Volvo evolutionary terms). In my experience the P1800 and Amazon offer a sufficiently different driving and maintenance experience from the 200/700/900 line.

Just my thoughts.

Alan