View Single Post
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 15:51   #10
Haldex
Premier Member

Yes, as Whiterdesign noted, plug-in hybrids were equipped with DCT - today I'm told by the dealer that they are killing the T2/T3 versions (for Fr market at least..) and have switched all remaining XC40 powertrains to DCT.

Test drove an XC40 T5 PHEV with DCT today for a couple of hours. It seems transparent (ie. like a torque converter automatic..) on highway speeds, midrange overtaking etc - but is certainly noticeable in the city driving - no jerkiness but gear changes are instant and hence more noticeable. Not sure I like it but it is what it is..

I am told that it yields better economy - difficult to say as I had it in Power mode + battery hold, to feel the transmission working - so the 3-banger averaged 8.3L/100km (33-ish mpg). Performance wise.. well. it's a 3-cyl.. without the electric motor kicking in it's pretty.. unimpressive.. and lawnmower-like sounding..

Decided the tranny is not a dealbreaker - heck, I hate the joystick-type shifter as well - but I can learn to live with it. Ordered an XC40 B4 AWD in RD guise - hoping to see it in January

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote