View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 10:17   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyA View Post
I have been advised that the trailing arm bushes are in poor condition & should be changed - this is based on a visual inspection (dealer 'health check') on my XC70, as this is only a month after a full dealer service where no mention was made of this issue i am a bit concerned.
what are the signs that the bushes do need replacing? i am not aware of any noises or 'feeling' that is different on the vehicle when driven.
If the bushes have started to split, that indicates wear. They could last a while like this, but once they split/perish, its only a matter of time before it gets worse. I imagine this is what the mechanic at the main dealer may have spotted, but that doesn't need they need to be replaced immediately. You could still get another while out of them yet, but when they're bad, you'll hear squeaking noises from the rear end.

Rear trailing arm bushes isn't a cheap job at a garage. An independent would charge £300+ including labour & parts, then you need an alignment afterwards (additional cost). A main dealer would charge probably double that!

I'd be inclined to get them checked out properly before replacing them. A dealer health check is only a basic visual one... Did the mechanic actually get a pry bar or some sort of tool to give leverage to check for play? That you won't know.

As I said, its not a cheap job. Best to get a second opinion, or have a look/check for play yourself.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 28th, 2021 at 10:25.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote