Thread: Engine: 70 T5: - Multiple Fault Codes
View Single Post
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 10:30   #4
7 Seat Sports Car

Default Knackered ECU

Thanks for responding Steve.

I had an ETS light (no CEL though) a few years ago and with Vida found an undeleteable code for ETM position sensor. I bought a Sacer contactless one and fitted it. The throttle still worked but the fault code still wouldn't go so figured the fault was terminal. I bought a new throttle body from Volvo and fitted it. The car started straight away without recoding from Volvo and the faults were gone. I noticed that the plastic end caps for the position sensors were cast different. One was like the original and the other was identical to the Sacer one but with Volvo embossed on it instead. I'd already paid for the software from Volvo by this point so just paid the labour and they updated the car to the latest (2006?) software version available.

The ripped out wiring was the from the sensor end of the lead. They unplugged the front sensor but the rear is connected differently so it was left alone. It was this 4 core lead that got wrecked. The black signal wire snapped halfway up the conduit that clips to the cat and the 2 white sensor heater wires and the grey earth had about an inch each of stranded core exposed from where it got pulled out of the sensor head. I think this is what has caused the short as I took the ECU out and found a burnt out track on the PCB. The main loom was fine and a new sensor was fitted for which I had no further fault codes.

I have checked and double checked Volvo part numbers against Bosch part numbers etc and confident that I ordered the correct parts. As mentioned above there is a definite fault with the ECU and it's away for repair at the moment. The car ran like a bag of nails and stalled several times with fault lights while moving the car 20 yards from front driveway down the side of my house. But a few hours earlier before the cat was cut out the car was absolutely fine. So the issue was present before the new parts were fitted.

And yes I have Vida/Dice. I got it to help find the ETM/ETS fault 2 or 3 years ago.

Basically it's a duff ECU. The company that has it also do cloning so hopefully I'll get a solution either way.

Drew