Thread: Engine: 70 T5: - Multiple Fault Codes
View Single Post
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 21:12   #1
7 Seat Sports Car

Default Multiple Fault Codes

Hi all, looking to see if anyone has any ideas of where I can go with figuring out what has gone wrong with my car. Apologies, its a bit long winded.

A week and a half ago my V70 was working absolutely fine. I parked up for the evening and then somebody decided that my car was carrying too much weight and relieved me of the obviously heavy catalytic converter and of course both oxygen sensors went in the 3 for 1 deal

While subsequently moving my car from the front to the side of house to work on it it ran like a bag of nails (stalled about 3 times) and now that I have a new cat and sensors it still runs like a bag of nails after taking forever to eventually catch and start. It stalled a lot at first. The idle doesn’t sound steady but the rev needle is fairly stable around the 850 mark. When I clear the codes the idle jumps all over the place but eventually goes back to rough. When moving the car I need a bootful of loud pedal to prevent it from stalling like I did when there was no cat at all.

I’ve interrogated the car with VIDA and got a ridiculous number of ECM prefix faults:

1200 - Air intake temperature low signal
1300 - MAF flow too high
1600 - Boost pressure sensor low signal
170F - Boost pressure sensor faulty signal
2000 - Coolant temp sensor low signal
280A - Front o2 sensor faulty
8010 - Battery voltage too high
904C - Reconfiguration emission system
904D - ETS light on
9530 - Acceleration pedal (AP) position sensor high signal
9540 - AP sensor power high signal
958F/959F - AP position sensor faulty signal
982A - ETM?

Not all codes appeared at the same time. One or two were there to start with and no longer appear and there are some new ones that popped up along the way.

Over the last few years its had a new Bosch MAF, alternator diode pack, battery is 2 years old, ETM was replaced with new contactless one from Volvo and also coded in by Volvo. Volvo don’t stock new catalysts or front o2 sensors anymore so I’ve had to go for an aftermarket cat but at least managed to get Bosch o2 sensors. Engine temp gauge works but the fan runs at max from cold.

If its likely to be an ECM issue do they just fail or are they susceptible to missing sensors? Is it possible the ripped out wiring from the rear o2 sensor has shorted something (heater circuit), there were 3 exposed cable cores dangling, the 4th broke inside the conduit. Or is it one of those fabled dead battery scenarios? It’s on charge anyway so will try again in the morning with another battery too if needs be. Is it all part of the bedding in of a new cat?

If anyone has any ideas or thinks I’ve missed something simple then please chip in.

Thanks in advance, Drew.