View Single Post
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 13:25   #77
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
Good info on many points. I don't have anything to lose by trying the insurance route!

Your average insurance job screen fitter will probably love this job. No horrible old screen to remove, no seal to scrape out, just a nice clean freshly epoxied surface to blob the polyurethane on.

The old screen is trashed. I had grand plans of getting it out unscathed that lasted a whole five seconds!
You've got it! One other thing to watch is that some insurance companies charge say £60 for the excess on the glass through their nominated screen company but more (say £80) through a different company - also make sure your local company that does the work is able to invoice your insurers and that the insurers are able to pay them.

Sounds ridiculous but i have heard of people who have been on a touring holiday of the UK and had a screen go, phoned their insurers to be told their nominated company has a 3-week wait for the screen, found a local one that has one in stock, got it all sorted, local company invoices the insurers (as they have previously in similar situations) only to be told the insurers no longer accept invoices from them and then all hell breaks loose.

All down to bean-counters who look at transaction histories and see they've only had 29 invoices from this small company in 10 years and decided to remove them from the payees list to "streamline their spreadsheets" or some such excuse.

As for the hope of getting a screen out intact, some years back i bought a car as a breaker and because the screens appeared intact, bought some windscreen removal tools. When i went to try removing the screens, i discovered someone had previously had a go and damaged the screens on the corners so that as soon as i tried with the correct tool, the screens crumbled around the corners. As the remains of the shell was destined for scrap i didn't go further but left the tools with my mate whose driveway the car was sat in. He tried and ended up turning one screen into a mosaic!

Sold the tools some time later on ebay to cut my losses!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: