View Single Post
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 11:39   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Right, decided to dive into this today, removed floor covering and gained access to the top of the tank.

Bit dirty, but after cleaning up, the hoses and clips didn't look too bad, hose clamp fixing screws are a bit rusty, but doused with plenty of penetrating oil.

As I hadn't been able to hear the in tank pump noise using a hose at the tank filler and better half turning the key, I had been assuming a dead in tank pump causing the main pump to be noisy.

Thought that before undoing anything, I'd just get her to turn key, with me in the boot listening at the tank sender outlet, definitely can hear the in tank working though.

Hmmm, bit reluctant to pull everything apart, and just wondered if there is any way to verify the fuel is actually being pulled up from the tank?. I'm wondering if I can remove the fuel supply hose from the filter/main pump end, and turn key, to actually confirm fuel is getting out of the tank??

Would appreciate any thoughts on this, and if to just pull main pump fuse so as not to run it dry?

Cheers
Steve
Given the weather today i can understand your reluctance to continue and you could do what you're suggesting but beware of the syphon effect! Once it starts flowing it's difficult to stop!

Also it's not a definitive test of the in-tank pump. It will simply show that it's pushing fuel out or not, not whether it's actually pushing enough fuel out.

My advice would be for you to do a Magnus Magnusson - "I've started so i'll finish". At least on the in-tank pump, 99% of the job is inside the car so you'll stay dry.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: