View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 21:25   #23
Forrest
VOC Member

Just to be clear on a couple of points.

Disconnecting the low pressure (tank) side of the main fuel pump while the hose is disconnected at the fuel sender will mean you don’t loose fuel due to syphoning and won’t have to clamp this hose. It will NOT relieve the pressure at the rail which should be the other side of a non-return valve. You will still have to take one of the many precautions suggested to avoid a jet of fuel under pressure when you loosen the high pressure side.

Also, if you read my earlier post I left it two years between replacing the main fuel pump and the in-tank lift pump and I have not had any problems with the main pump which did resume being noisy not long after I originally replaced it. Now, I’ll qualify this in that I did use a genuine Bosch main pump. A cheaper one might have experienced more wear.

The original Bosch pump was still working when I replaced it in 2018 and I think on reflection the lift pump must have packed up in 2009 if not earlier so it had managed circa ten years and 100k miles of abuse.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: