View Single Post
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 13:48   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post

As mentioned, I'm well out of practice in tinkering around with cars, so I'm a bit wary of pulling everything apart all at once, so think I might do in pump change using all new stainless hose clips, then cross fingers and see if it starts, and more importantly, has the noise disappeared. If not, and main pump is still noisy, and whilst sender top is still all accessible, I could then just remove the main fuel supply line at the sender unit top, to replace the main pump and filter.

Cheers
Steve
That's your best course of action Steve - don't go changing everything at once as if one of the new parts happens to be faulty (unlikely) or another fault develops, you will be chasing your tail trying to find out why it won't start. If you've only changed one item, you can refit the original to see if that's the cause, if not then you can try other avenues of diagnosis.

That's the worst case scenario obviously, ideally you'll fit the in-tank pump, fire it up, have no leaks and no noise from the main pump after a short while. If all is good but you think the main pump is still a smidge noisy, add 2 egg-cupfuls (~50ml each) to a full tank or pro rata of ATF-U or similar synthetic ATF to the fuel tank. This will lube the pumps and also help clean the injectors and revive any rubber seals in the system.

Good luck with it and keep us posted with your progress/done report!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: